Petts Wood was built as a garden suburb and commuter town, mostly in the 1920s and 1930s. St. Francis parish exists only on the East side of the railway line. The Parish is simple suburbia, with no factories, warehouses, schools or any industrial establishments and the main shopping area is on the West side. Petts Wood was originally woodland - a preserved area of this surrounds the Church. The Church, consecrated in 1935, is of conventional cruciform layout, Gothic styling and red brick construction. A large Church Hall with a stage adjoins the Church and is used for social activities and entertainment. Services are in the Anglo-catholic tradition, with Low Mass, and a Sung Eucharist every Sunday and on festival days.
For further information click through to
The History behind our Doors